Saturday, October 9, 2010

Arkansas State Fair Stuff and Such






72nd Annual Arkansas State Fair, October 8-17, 2010

Everything imaginable and perhaps not imaginable on the menu at the State Fair this year. From fried alligator to fried sausage on a stick wrapped with a potato, fried Hershey's Kisses and fried peanut butter cups - fried onions, fried mushrooms, fried pickles, fried zucchini - need I say more. What got my goat, literally was the goat served in a wrap, like a pita goat. And barbecued rabbit. Safe to say not many have experienced that delicacy before. Wash any of that down with Hillbilly Hollow or Hollerin' (wasn't quite sure) Juice.



If that seems a little untamed for your taste buds, you can always revert to the old standards, smoked turkey legs, corn dogs, cotton candy and candy apples. Don't know if my friends are back in the Hall of Industry this year. But if you must do a candy or caramel apple - you must check them out. Not cheap but crisp delicious Granny Smith apples served whole or sliced, dipped in nuts or not. I would save all my calories just to indulge in one of those at least one time a year.

My personal menu usually consists of a polish sausage sandwich, roasted corn on the cob and a caramel apple - I'm good after that. And a few laps around the fairgrounds help work off the extra lbs. or at least that's what I tell myself.


I highly recommend checking out the newest exhibit (free with admission) - the museum which chronicles the history of the fair and features some pretty interesting photos from yesteryear, like the one of President Roosevelt at the Hot Springs location in 1910. I'm told he stopped in following a game hunt. You can also see a photo of the gentleman for whom the coliseum is named as well as a photo of the building itself when it did not have a roof.

Organizers are hoping fairgoers will take advantage of free admission and parking during the weekday, from 11 am to 1 pm, so can visit and have lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment